This is the time to celebrate peaches. Look for standout varieties such as July Flame, Suncrest, or O’Henry for this salad recipe.
Course: Main Course
Yield: 4 servings
Serves: 4 Scale Update
- 80 mL raw pumpkin seeds
- 15 mL plus ¼ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 whole clove
- 3 mL coriander seeds
- 3 mL cumin seeds
- 1 serrano chile finely grated
- 1 garlic clove finely grated
- 45 mL finely chopped parsley
- 45 mL finely chopped cilantro plus leaves with tender stems for serving
- 45 mL (or more) fresh lemon juice
- 2 medium Persian cucumbers cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium yellow peaches cut into 1–1½-inch pieces
- 1 avocado cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 mL toasted sesame seeds
- spice mill or mortar and pestle
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toast pumpkin seeds on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing halfway through, until golden brown and slightly puffed, 5–7 minutes; let cool. Transfer to a small bowl and toss with 1 Tbsp. oil; season with salt.
- Meanwhile, toast cardamom, clove, coriander, and cumin in a dry small skillet over medium heat, tossing occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove seeds from cardamom pod; discard pod. Finely grind seeds along with other spices in spice mill or with mortar and pestle. Mix in a large bowl with chile, garlic, parsley, chopped cilantro, lemon juice, and remaining ¼ cup oil; season with salt. Add cucumber and toss. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Add peaches, avocado, and half of the pumpkin seeds to cucumber mixture and season generously with salt; toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasoning with more salt and/or lemon juice.
- Serve topped with sesame seeds, cilantro leaves, and remaining pumpkin seeds.